So I got to thinking about what makes me hopeful about our industry's future? I came up with 10 developments I am very excited about.
1. Shared Decision Making and Slow Medicine
2. Computer Simulation (Think David Eddy's Archimedes)
3. Video games for professional instruction, lifestyle changes, drug adherence
4. Patient social networking sites (Think PatientsLikeMe and DiabetesMine)
5. Smart phones and health care apps including EMRs
6. Patient generated research (Think CureTogether)
7. Reverse innovation (Think GE)
9. Doctors being replaced by online information from a patient like me for health information
10. Twitter and Facebook.
The AICPA folks would only give me an hour for the keynote so I am going to talk mostly about numbers 1 and 2, but all of these developments give me hope for the future.